Saturday, March 12, 2011

Walking and Caching

Today we have planned to grab two geocaches. One is mine that I have to remove from another Provincial Park and one that is not hidden by me.

The first one we decide to do is retrieve my cache at the park, as it is the furthest away. We drive up there and find the park gate locked. That means we have to walk up this super steep hill to the top parking lot to go and get the geocache.

The walk up wasn’t as bad as I remembered it, mind you it was raining and not the middle of summer and it certainly wasn’t hot! We got the cache container and left the area and the walk down was more tiring than the walk up.

One cache down and one to find!

We get to where we think the second cache location should be and we are still one kilometer away. Drive down the road a bit more and we are still over a kilometer away. WTF! So one last side road we check and we are getting closer and closer but we are also driving on mud and loose gravel that 4x4ers use.

There are HUGE puddles all around this area and I know if hubby caught me down there with my car he would flip shit!! So, I did the responsible thing and parked it not in a puddle and walked the fifty meters to where the geocache should be!

The reason I am not supposed to take my car off roading anymore is because it is just about dead and the guys want to use it in a race that is coming up! I personally just like to drive off road with all of my vehicles LOL

Anyway, Manda and I walk to where the GPS is telling us to go and there is a tree with its roots bare because it is hanging over the edge of an embankment. The drop is about ten or so feet onto rocks which make up the bed of the river when it is flooding.

I am not going down the steep hill in my runners; so I send Manda down there! As usual we come back totally muddy but we had fun! Manda has this knack of sliding down places on her butt and this place was no exception! She slides down the embankment to see if she could find the geocache but couldn’t find anything.

There was a lone fisherman about fifty feet or so down the bank from us with his dog. The dog saw Manda and me and started to bark at us. The guy said its ok she only barks but will not hurt you! She just thinks she is tough! LOL

So now we have been spotted and the darn dog would not let us look without her coming over and begging for us to throw the stick.

The fisherman eventually walks over to where we were standing and asks what we are doing. We explain the whole Geocaching game to him and he says oh! That’s sounds cool! Then goes back to fishing!

Manda climbs back up the bank to where I was looking on the topside of this tree when the fisherman says, “Is it in a metal bottle?”

“I am not sure what it is in actually but I don’t think it would be a metal bottle!”

“Oh because there is one just below where you are standing but I think you can only get it from this side!”

I look at Manda and said, “You didn’t see that bottle there? You tard!” LOL

As it turned out it was the geocache but we would have never of found it because we are not as tall as this fisherman and even if we did see it we would have never been able to get it out. He used the end of his fishing rod to reach up and get it out of its hiding hole! Then he attached it to his dogs collar and sent the dog up to where we were standing so we could write in the logbook that was inside the bottle.

The dog, Rainy, took it back down to his owner, Nick, and he put it back for us! Of course we gave them both credit for helping to find the geocache!

Yes we got even muddier and yes we had a blast finding it and as a treat to Rainy I found a big stick and threw it for her before we got in the car! *Whew * what a day!

©2011 7Ladybugs
March 10, 2011

1 comment:

  1. Thats ok I feel like I would be the one to star right at it and not see it. sounds like you had a fun day.

    ReplyDelete