Wednesday, February 9, 2011

February 9, 2011

Did you get out and walk today? I managed to get some walking in but it was in spurts rather than just going out for a walk. We really don’t realize how far we walk until you start using a step counter and then you realize that just in your daily routine you walk quite a fair distance.

Yesterday I told you that today I would let you in on a secret that has kept me motivated. It is really simple actually. Get a lined notebook that is bright or has a nice picture on it, or decorate it yourself.

In the margin write the date then with a ruler make two other vertical columns. At the top of one write STEPS (records how many steps you took) and in the other write DISTANCE (so you can keep track of the mileage on your shoes).

I have added little stickers to each page and use different colored pens to log my day. I know it might seem a little like work to do that but at the end of each page I have totaled up the STEPS and DISTANCE for that page.
In the very back of the book I keep the totals written down and at the end of the year I plan to see how far I have walked… if it was in a straight line.

Today I was talking to a friend that is also walking the 365 Challenge with me, but in another country, and she emailed me this tip about walking shoes that I did not know.

As a general rule of thumb, you should replace your walking shoes when you have walked in them for about 400 miles. Everybody is different. Some people strike harder or softer than others. Some walking shoes wear better than others. By looking at the bottom and sides of the walking shoes, you can tell when it is time to replace them.

Another good reason to keep a walking journal!

Today’s tip for adding 2000 steps is to take up photography— walk at a scenic location while hunting for photo opportunities. As you know, I am also doing the 365 Photo Challenge, so I am often out walking with my camera, ready to take that perfect picture. It is fun to take pictures, as you never really think that you are taking all those extra steps when trying to line up that perfect shot.

We have a nature park close to where we live and I love going there to walk the trails and take pictures of the different migrating birds that have made it there stop over. See if there is a nature park or reserve close to where you live and go for a walk around there, you will be amazed at how much ground you can cover when you are in a new environment.

That’s it for me tonight. Keep walking!


©2011 7Ladybugs
February 9, 2011

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is very nice I think it's good ! :) Do't have many bad points!

    ReplyDelete