Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January 25, 2011

How is everyone today? I have been up since 7am working on the computer so I am getting a bit tired. I think it will soon be time for me to go and get some walking done to refresh my body and mind.

I have composed six letters to be emailed or mailed to companies asking them for donations for my upcoming events. I hope the companies I have selected are in a generous mood this year as I rely on people donating items or products to help keep my costs down.

While I have been on the computer, I have been surfing the net for some wise words of wisdom to motivate us while we are walking. Most of the things I found were things we already knew, like drink water while walking, take a snack with you if you are walking more than two miles, use a walking stick or hiking staff if climbing in rough terrain and things like that.

One thing that I haven’t covered is the use of walking sticks or hiking staffs. I have both and I didn’t spend too much money on either one of them. While I don’t use either one for walking around the block, I do use them when we are hiking in the forest or in a Provincial park. My daughter wanted a set of walking poles to use for when we go up some steep hills and I was looking for a set for her. I quickly told her NO as they were asking $40.00 for a pair of walking poles… way out of my price range! I did buy her some though for $1.00 at the local thrift store. They are ski poles, which are the right height for her, and they have the point on the end to grip into the ground. So, if you wanted to go and get a pair of walking poles for your walking trips, head to your closest thrift store and pick up some ski poles for cheap! They really do work and they also give your arms a work out as well!

I also have a metal telescopic hiking staff, which I managed to get for $5.00 from eBay a few years ago. It is brand new and great for when you want to carry it with you but not use it all the time. I usually carry it in my backpack when we are hiking to help get me through those tough parts. Personally though, I would not spend the $50+ dollars on an adjustable pole for walking with, it just isn’t worth the money, in my opinion. For the amount of times I have used it, it was good that I paid only five dollars for it.

My advice to you is to check out both types and then decide if you are going to use them often enough to pay full price for the product. Keep in mind that you only get ONE hiking staff for the price and if you head to your thrift store you get two ski poles for a quarter of the price and maybe even find a hiking staff as well.

If you have a carver in the family you could always have one made out of a tree branch that you find on your walks. They are always the best kinds as they are free!!

I found the following funnies on a page and I thought I would share them with you:

· My grandpa started walking five miles a day when he was 70. Now he's 77 and we don't have any idea where the hell he is.

· I like long walks, especially when people who annoy me take them.

· The only reason I would take up walking is so that I could hear heavy breathing again.

· I have to walk early in the morning, before my brain figures out what I'm doing.

· I joined a health club last year, spent about 400 bucks. Haven't lost a pound. Apparently you have to go there.

· Every time I hear the dirty word "exercise" I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

· I do have flabby thighs, but fortunately my stomach covers them.

I thought they were funny and had to share them with my fellow walkers. Do you have something funny to share? You can always add it as a comment or email me and I will post it for you.

As the year goes on I am sure there will be plenty of funny stories of my walking with my family and will have no problem sharing them with you!

One of my favorite authors said this about walking:

I've exercised with women so thin that buzzards followed them to their cars.
Erma Bombeck

If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it.
Erma Bombeck

Well, that is it for my thoughts for the day. I am now going to go out and have a nice walk around the block to revive myself so I can get on with my work.

Have a great walk today!

©2011 7Ladybugs

January 25, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment