Saturday, January 8, 2011

It Snowed Here!

Today I did actually go for a walk even though it was snowing. It wasn’t a long walk but it was a walk nonetheless. As I have said before, it doesn’t matter how far you walk as long as you get out each day and walk somewhere.

Today it snowed and it actually stuck on the ground! I love to drive in the snow that we get here, as it is not a wet snow but a powder. You can still slip and slide in it but it is a dryer snow than what the Lower Mainland gets.

I am hoping it either dumps a lot of snow or it rains and washes it all away. Have you tried to walk on frozen slush? It is difficult! You have to watch your step so you don’t go over on your ankle and fall or break a bone.

So, as you have noticed I have been talking about walking and the free fitness areas in neighborhoods. Well, I am hoping to add to that by giving you some tips on walking to get the most out of your walk.

If you are still having a problem trying to get in a walk daily, park your car in the furthest parking stall when you got to the mall or to work, even those extra steps count as a walk.
Instead of walking to do those errands that are close by, talk a walk and get healthy while you are doing errands.

Get your arms pumping as you walk, it will motivate you and make you have a workout like you never thought would be possible. It also helps reduce those ‘batwings’ we get as we get older!

Make sure that you drink water before during and after your workout to flush out those nasty fats that we don’t want anymore!

For safety reasons, always walk with a partner. If that is not possible then let someone know where and when you are going and when you will return, better to be safe than sorry. If I have to walk alone, I usually take my dog with me, he maybe medium sized but he is a big deterrent. If you don’t have a dog, borrow some ones dog, they will be happy you are taking them for a walk and you will get exercise as well as feeling good about helping out a neighbor or friend.

If you need motivation then repeat this affirmation: Walking is free and it makes me feel great!

You are doing really great!!! You have stuck with it for this long; just imagine how you will look and feel in six months or a year!

After each month of successful walking each day, I am going to treat myself to something that is just for me. I did the work and I think I deserve something nice for my efforts! I am not talking about going out to dinner or buying myself some expensive clothes or anything like that; I am talking about a new bottle of nail polish for my toes, a new pair of cute socks or a nice water bottle. Just a little something that I can see and feel so I know I have done great in the previous month. I believe in rewarding the good behavior and if I have stuck with something for a month – I think I need something that is just for ME!

My six months treat will probably be a new pair of walking shoes and a pair of socks! I think it will be cool to see how far I have walked in total at that point and then look on a map and see where I could have walked to had I kept on walking in a straight line. I would set my sights high like Hawaii but I am not that energetic… or am I? We will have to wait and see. I would also like to see where you would have walked to as well. Don’t be shy we are all friends here, even if you have just started walking post that here as well.

For me I am going to soak my feet and put some cream on them as I am hoping to get a longer walk in tomorrow.

Happy Walking!

©2011 7Ladybugs
January 8, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment